Arabesque Dance is joyful expression and philosophy in movement. Founded by Yasmina Ramzy in 1987, Arabesque Canada has its roots and soul in an Egyptian and Syrian lineage. The school is recognized globally for embodying Arab dance and music arts with the highest artistry, respect and integrity.
“giggles…lip biting concentration…way too much fun”
“Will go down in history as having redeemed Bellydance”
–THE GLOBE AND MAIL
“Has taken Bellydance to another level”
“Hypnotic … artistry and passion”
Arabesque Dance movement comes from a time and place where sexuality is a celebration of life. Because of this, you will find that the organic, natural flow of steps helps to rewire your relationship with your body and sensuality. Accomplishing unusual, intricate and mesmerizing steps strengthens one’s self-esteem. Art is subjective and Arabesque dance celebrates the freedom of individual expression. If you are experiencing joy when dancing then you have accomplished much and feel the Arabesque spirit. May your experience of Arabesque Dance Art be an inspiring journey.
Founder & Artistic Director
Yasmina Ramzy is a prolific choreographer and an internationally recognized master teacher. Her work is best known for its originality, elaborate staging and full range of emotional expression. Yasmina has mentored countless Raqs Sharqi dance artists globally instructing with an effortless and organic approach to technique. She has nurtured their individuality and their path to artistic self expression. Her passion to represent an authentic artform compelled her to create Arabesque Dance Company & Orchestra, Arabesque Academy and 7 large international dance festivals featuring discussion and debate.
Yasmina Ramzy is often referred to as a “Dance Whisperer” because of her ability to facilitate a physical and spiritual awakening while revealing an artist’s true voice and potential.
- performing in Middle East since 1983
- created 10 full-scale dance and music productions with as many as 45 dancers and musicians
- taught workshops in over 65 cities globally
- created choreography for over 20 dance companies incl. BDSS
- created over 200 choreographies for ensembles
- performed extensively with master musicians in Syria
- established Yasmina Dance Troupe 1984
- established Arabesque Academy 1987
- established Arabesque Dance Company & Orchestra 1992
- established Arabesque Orchestra 1995
- produced 7 international festivals since 2007